The Starting Blocks

Friday, November 14, 2008

Perserve or Should I Just Say PAIN!

 

Yesterday was very much a day of contrasts.  The day started off with achievement and disbelief of the ease of my progress.  Part might have been due to my preparation but I attribute most of this early success to advances in surgical procedures.  The physical therapist came to get me up on crutches and I was able to walk close to 600 feet by the end of the day.  I was actually encouraged to put as much weight on my leg as I could tolerate.  The biggest challenges were the weakness in my knee and my fear of pain.  Later in the day the occupational therapist came to make sure I could take care of myself when I get home.  Putting on socks, and figuring out how to get into a bathtub to take a shower were just a couple of the tasks I needed to master.   I did so with confidence.                           

 

My confidence was short lived.  Pain blind-sided me.  It was like getting hit by Chance Sumner or Brian Kirkland (Quad Rugby Super Stars).  This sudden PAIN is attributed to the affects of the femoral block wearing off.  Patients are instructed to rate PAIN on a scale of 1 to 10.   When PAIN gets to be a 3 you are supposed to request PAIN meds.  With the sudden onset I went from 3 to about 15 in about 20 minutes.  It takes about 45 minutes for the meds to kick in.  When you take PAIN meds at level 3 you are able to keep up with the PAIN. When you don’t take the pills until you get to 10 then

It is like falling behind by 3 touchdowns in the fourth quarter.   Let’s just say I finally caught up but had to go into quadruple overtime to claim victory over the PAIN.

 

Things were much better today, even though I experienced one of those de-humanizing events.  The occupational therapist who showed up was a very attractive/cute 20 something year old.   Her task was to make sure I could take a shower on my own.  Thank god I am happily married and in my late forties.   Let’s just say that darn hospital gown gave the OT a show.   I hope I didn’t scar her for life.  Things eventually got better and I got my walking papers.  Yes can you believe I am sitting in my own recliner in my own house.  

 

Anyone want to start a pool on when I will start getting on my wife’s nerves.

 

More tomorrow.

 

 

 

 

-->
posted by The Starting Blocks at 6:12 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home