The Starting Blocks

Monday, November 17, 2008

Rehab Begins: Nutrition Do And Do Not

You may be trying to figure out how all of this sharing my surgery experience ties into the Starting Blocks commitment to athletic excellence and promoting integrity in sports nutrition. First I would hope in some way by sharing my experience I would inspire any athlete to continue their pursuits of excellence. Maybe this will help someone through a time when they are trying to find that internal strength to endure difficult workouts. We all have goals and visions. I hope that by sharing my experience you will overcome all of the challenges and experience the rewards of excellence.

Second, I hope to share with you the importance of integrity in nutritional supplementation. Athletes are always looking for an edge and many times are pressured into using supplementation which can be detrimental to their careers and dangerous to their health. Today’s update is focused on the importance of supplementation in my rehabilitation process. More specifically, knowing what supplementation may be DANGEROUS to my health because of the medication I have to take.

Leading up to surgery the doctors did not want me to be using supplementation which are thinning to my blood. This blood increases bleeding during surgery. The following is a list of supplements which I was using and had to discontinue before surgery:

Here are the products I use/used

1. Glucosamine had to be ended 2 months before surgery because it stays in your blood stream for up to 2 months.

2. Vitamin E was ended 1 month before because it thins the blood.

3. Omega-3 fatty acids were ended 14 days before.

4. Any anti-inflammatory prescription medication or over the counter anti-inflammatory must be ended 14 days before. This includes all aspirin and ibuprofen.

5. I was able to take a multi-vitamin up to 3 days in advance of the surgery.

6. I was encouraged to take an iron supplement for the two weeks before and after surgery. Click here to see an iron supplement which also has vitamin C . Iron supplements can be hard to digest but this product is not.


After surgery the doctors want my blood to be thinned to prevent blood clots. I have to take a prescription blood thinner for two weeks following surgery and wear surgical stockings (ugly support hose) to prevent blood clots. There are numerous supplements you must NOT take while on the blood thinners. Some supplements including vitamin K (Potassium) counteract the thinners so you CANNOT take them. Most multivitamins contain vitamin K. Some supplements may increase blood thinning too much. My doctor gave me a list but I wanted to make sure I did not take any supplement which may cause risk to my health. Click here to find out what supplements conflict with you medication. Just type in your medication and it will give you a list of supplements you should not take with your medication. Again, integrity is our focus. There are many companies who do not have this integrity and do not provide this information.

Click on any of the supplements on the following list of supplements I am using post surgery:
1. Iron plus C
2. Immune Support
3. Probiotic (healthy flora)
4. Vitamin C
5. Protein Shake
6. Omega Fatty Acids
7. B Complex

-->
posted by The Starting Blocks at 6:40 PM

2 Comments:

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my

first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I

will keep visiting this blog very often.

Ruth


http://www.infrared-sauna-spot.info

November 21, 2008 at 6:31 PM  

Curt as I read your posting my own awareness has dramatically continued on a steep curve. Your personalized writings are a tribute to your quantum caring about helping me learn about the process you have experienced. Thank you for your integrity in sharing your preparation for surgery and the need to educate oneself on supplements. See you soon Craig

November 30, 2008 at 2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home